List of horn players
(Redirected from Hornist)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Radek Baborák, former Principal horn Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Munich Phil. Orch, Czech Phil. Orch. winner of the ARD, Geneva, Markneukirchen, Concertino Praga
- Andrew Bain, principal horn of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, LA studio player, horn instructor at the Colburn School in Los Angeles, California
- Georges Barboteu (1924–2006), Former professor at CNSM, member of the French French-horn school, horn instructor of many current French French hornists
- Hermann Baumann, former principal horn Philharmonisches Orchester Dortmund and Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra, winner of the ARD International Music Competition in 1964, soloist, performing on natural horn and valved horn
- Richard Bissill, player, composer, arranger and professor
- Aubrey Brain, player (1893–1955)
- Dennis Brain, player (1921–1957)
- Arthur C. Brooks, social scientist whose previous profession was horn player
- Timothy Brown, principal horn in BBC Symphony Orchestra and Academy of St Martin in the Fields, Melos Ensemble
- John Cerminaro, principal New York Philharmonic (1969–79), principal Seattle Symphony 1996–2011
- Alan Civil, second horn Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (to Dennis Brain), later principal. In 1955, joined the Philharmonia, and in 1957 became principal horn, after the death of Dennis Brain, principal of BBC Symphony Orchestra from 1966 to 1988
- Dale Clevenger, principal Chicago Symphony Orchestra 1966–2013
- Geoff Collinson, principal horn, Australian Opera and Ballet Orchestra
- David Cripps, Star Wars original trilogy (1977, 1980, 1983) and Superman (1978 film) principal horn, principal horn London Symphony Orchestra for 10 years.
- Peter Damm, principal horn Dresden Staatskapelle 1969–2002. He is professor of horn at the Carl Maria von Weber music conservatoire.
- Vincent DeRosa, LA studio player
- Richard Dunbar, was a player of the French horn, playing in the free jazz scene. He was born in Brooklyn, New York, on May 29, 1944, and he died suddenly at the age of 61, apparently of a heart attack, on the way to a gig on February 8, 2006.
- Simon de Souza, professor of horn at the Birmingham Conservatoire
- Vladimir Djambazov, second horn Sofia Philharmonic and composer
- Stefan Dohr, principal horn, Berlin Philharmonic, hailed as the "king of his instrument". Visiting Professor at the Royal College of Music, the Sibelius Academy, and a permanent faculty member at the Herbert von Karajan Academy and the Hochschule für Musik 'Hanns Eisler' in Berlin, 2019 Guest Artist at the Australian National Academy of Music(ANAM).
- Pip Eastop, professor of horn at Royal Academy of Music in London
- John Entwistle, bass player from The Who, also played horn
- Philip Farkas, principal Chicago Symphony Orchestra 1936–41 and 1947–60, Cleveland Orchestra 1941–45 and 1946–47, Boston Symphony 1945–46, also horn professor at Indiana University from 1960–1992
- Jacques-François Gallay (1795–1864), French player, academic at the Paris Conservatoire and composer; author of Méthode pour le Cor (1845)
- David Guerrier, French trumpeter and hornist, former professor at CNSM of Lyon
- Anthony Halstead (horn, natural horn, piano, organ and conductor), exponent of period-instrument performance notably with the Hanover Band
- Anton Joseph Hampel, horn player of the 18th century who developed the technique of hand-stopping
- Max Hess, Boston Symphony Orchestra 1905–25, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra 1925–37
- Douglas Hill
- Heinrich Hübler
- Ifor James
- Stefan de Leval Jezierski, Berlin Philharmonic
- Lin Jiang, Barry Tuckwell Brass Prize winner, principal horn of the Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra and Australian World Orchestra.
- Timothy Jones, principal horn of the London Symphony Orchestra, horn professor at the Royal College of Music.
- Daniel Katzen, former member of Boston Symphony Orchestra, Associate Professor of Horn at the "University of Arizona School of Music" in Tucson
- Georg Kopprasch, composer of the Kopprasch Etudes
- Peter Kurau, principal Rochester Philharmonic and Professor of Horn at the Eastman School of Music
- Ludwig Wenzel Lachnith, Bohemian horn player and composer of Horn concertos.
- Julie Landsman, former Principal Horn, Metropolitan Opera Orchestra (1985–2010), Juilliard faculty since 1989.
- Wilhelm Lanzky-Otto
- Joseph Leutgeb
- Boštjan Lipovšek
- Frank Lloyd
- John MacDonald
- Joseph Masella, principal horn of both the Montreal Symphony Orchestra and the CBC Montreal Orchestra from 1943 to 1969.
- Christian Mengis, hornist and composer at the court of Frederick the Great from 1745.
- Philip Myers, principal, New York Philharmonic Orchestra 1980–2017)
- Ricardo Matosinhos
- Jeff Nelsen, horn player for Canadian Brass, on faculty at Indiana University
- Hermann Neuling
- Marie Luise Neunecker, German horn player, and Professor at Hochschule für Musik Hanns Eisler Berlin.
- David Ohanian, former horn player for the Canadian Brass
- Martin Owen, principal BBC Symphony Orchestra, Professor of Horn at the Royal Academy of Music and Trinity College of Music
- Vicente Zarzo Pitarch, for 25 years the horn soloist in the Residentie Orkest in the Hague
- Abel Pereira
- Valery Polekh
- Giovanni Punto
- William Purvis
- Neill Sanders, Melos Ensemble, London Orchestras
- Will Sanders, Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra
- Lorenzo Sansone, member of major North American symphony orchestras, music editor, educator, and horn manufacturer.
- Gunther Schuller, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, and composer
- František Šolc, Czech hornist and horn teacher
- James Sommerville, Boston Symphony Orchestra
- Stephen Stirling, principal horn City of London Sinfonia, co-principal horn Academy of St Martin in the Fields, teaches at Trinity College of Music, soloist, chamber musician
- Franz Strauss
- Esa Tapani, former principal horn Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra
- James Thatcher, LA studio player
- Michael Thompson, former principal with Philharmonia Orchestra, teacher at Royal Academy of Music, soloist/chamber musician/clinician
- Barry Tuckwell, former principal horn London Symphony Orchestra, soloist and clinician
- Bedřich Tylšar, former horn player with the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, soloist and pedagogue
- Zdeněk Tylšar, former principal horn with the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, soloist and pedagogue
- William VerMeulen, principal horn of the Houston Symphony Orchestra, Professor of Horn at Rice University since 1990
- Eugène Léon Vivier, French player (1821–1900)
- Radovan Vlatkovic, former principal of Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra from 1982 to 1990, teacher at Mozarteum in Salzburg, soloist
- Richard Watkins, principal horn of Philharmonia Orchestra from 1985 to 1996, teaching at Royal Academy of Music, soloist, chamber musician, clinician
- Froydis Ree Wekre, member of Oslo Philharmonic from 1961 to 1991, co-principal from 1965 on, Professor of Horn at Norwegian Academy of Music, soloist, clinician
- Kate Westbrook, tenor horn player
- Jonathan Williams, British orchestral and solo horn player
- Sarah Willis, fourth horn of the Berlin Philharmonic.
Use of the horn in jazz
The horn is used only rarely in jazz, but there have been a few notable players:
- Pietro Amato, member of The Luyas, Arcade Fire, Bell Orchestre and Torngat
- David Amram
- John Clark
- Vincent Chancey
- Sharon Freeman
- John Graas
- Stefan de Leval Jezierski
- Dave Lee
- Bob Northern
- Willie Ruff
- Gunther Schuller
- Arkady Shilkloper
- Richard Todd
- Tom Varner
- Julius Watkins