This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Tsurugashima city hall
Location of Tsurugashima in Saitama Prefecture
|• Total||17.65 km2 (6.81 sq mi)|
|• Density||3,980/km2 (10,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+9 (Japan Standard Time)|
|Address||16-1 Mitsugi, Tsurugashima-shi, Saitama-ken 350-2292|
Tsurugashima (鶴ヶ島市, Tsurugashima-shi) is a city in Saitama Prefecture, Japan. As of 1 February 2016[update], the city had an estimated population of 70,230, and a population density of 3,980 persons per km². Its total area is 17.65 square kilometres (6.81 sq mi).
The area around modern Tsurugashima has been inhabited since prehistoric times, and a number of large burial mounds from the Kofun period are preserved within the city limits. During the Edo period, the area was largely under the control of Kawagoe Domain. The village of Tsurugashima was created within Koma District, Saitama with the establishment of the municipalities system on April 1, 1889. Koma District was abolished in 1896, becoming part of Iruma District.Tsurugashima was elevated to town status on April 1, 1966. The modern city of Tsurugashima was founded when the former town of Tsurugashima was elevated to city status on September 1, 1991.
Formerly an agricultural community, Tsurugashima has increasingly become a bedroom community, with over a third of its population commuting to the Tokyo metropolis or the city of Kawagoe.
Tsurugashima has eight elementary schools, five junior high schools, and one high school.
- Ken-Ō Expressway – Ken-Ō Tsurugashima Interchange, Tsurugashima Junction
- Kan-etsu Expressway – Tsurugashima Interchange, Tsurugashima Junction
- National Route 407
- Tsuru Bus community bus service
- Tsuru Wagon community minibus service
- Zennōji Temple
- Wakaba Walk Shopping Centre
Notable people from Tsurugashima
- Aria Jasuru Hasegawa, footballer
- Jin Katagiri, comedian and member of the Rahmens duo
- Ryuji Kawai, footballer
- Atsuko Sakurai, actress
- Hideaki Takeda, footballer
- Jun Uruno, footballer
- Haruka Shimazaki, actress and former AKB48 member
- 鶴ケ島市 [Tsurugashima City] (in Japanese). Japan: ken-min.com. 2011. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tsurugashima, Saitama.|
- Official Website (in Japanese)