Eugène Edine Pottier
Pottier was elected a member of the Paris municipal council - the Paris Commune, in March 1871. Following the Commune's defeat, in June 1871 he wrote the poem L'Internationale, which became the International Workingmen's Association anthem during its last years (1871–1876), and has been used by most socialist and left-wing political internationals since. Music was later written for the song by Pierre De Geyter. Encyclopedia of Mass Persuasion deems the anthem "one of the best-known propaganda songs since La Marseillaise". After writing the poem, Pottier went into exile but later returned to France, dying penniless.
- On l'a tuée à coups de chassepot,
- A coups de mitrailleuse,
- Et roulée avec son drapeau
- Dans la terre argileuse.
- Et la tourbe des bourreaux gras
- Se croyait la plus forte.
- Tout ça n'empêche pas, Nicolas
- Qu'la Commune n'est pas morte.
An approximate translation of which is:
- They killed her with their chassepot,
- With their machine guns,
- And rolled her with its flag
- In the clay.
- And the mud of the fat hangmen
- thought they had prevailed.
- And with all that, Nicolas,
- The Commune is not dead.
During his exile in New York City (1873–1880), Eugène Pottier was received at Les Égalitaires lodge in New York. In his cover letter, he said that Freemasonry "is composed of a group of freethinkers who, having made a clean sweep on tradition and recognizing nothing superior to human reason, consciously dedicate themselves in search of Truth and Justice".
- Quotations related to Eugène Edine Pottier at Wikiquote
- Works written by or about Eugène Pottier at Wikisource
- Media related to Eugène Edine Pottier at Wikimedia Commons
- Works by or about Eugène Edine Pottier at Internet Archive
- Works by Eugène Edine Pottier at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)
- Eugène Edine Pottier at Find a Grave
|This article about a French writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a French politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|