Vebjørn Tandberg in 1963
|Born||16 September 1904|
|Died||30 August 1978 (aged 73)|
|Alma mater||Norwegian Institute of Technology|
|Occupation||Electronics engineer and industialist|
|Known for||Founder of Tandbergs Radiofabrikk|
|Relatives||Kari Vogt (niece)|
Vebjørn Tandberg (16 September 1904 – 30 August 1978) was a Norwegian electronics engineer.
He founded Tandbergs Radiofabrikk of Oslo in 1933 and made it a great success. In addition to his technical and commercial achievements, Tandberg was a pioneer in providing good conditions for his workforce. He instituted a 42-hour week and three weeks' annual vacation for all in 1937, and a free pension and health insurance scheme for all from 1938. A four-week vacation for all employees over 40 years of age was introduced in 1947, while the working week was reduced to 39 hours in 1948. There was a five-day work week during the summer months from 1955, over the full year from 1969.
His life ended under tragic circumstances—suicide—after financial problems at the radio factory and the ensuing political maneuverings had left him without control so that he was frozen out from his life's work. Subsequently, Tandbergs Radiofabrikk declared bankruptcy and underwent corporation reorganization .
- Arnljot Strømme Svendsen. "Vebjørn Tandberg". Norsk biografisk leksikon. Retrieved January 1, 2017.
- "Vebjørn Tandberg". Store norske leksikon. Retrieved January 1, 2017.
- "Tandbergs Radiofabrikk". Store norske leksikon. Retrieved January 1, 2017.
- "Ensomt på toppen når kriser rammer". E24 (in Norwegian). Norwegian News Agency. Archived from the original on 2011-05-20. Retrieved 2007-11-09.
- (in Norwegian) Dahl, Helmer; Strømme Svendsen, Arnljot (1995). Vebjørn Tandberg - triumf og tragedie. Fagbokforlaget. 263 pp. ISBN 82-7674-166-5.
- (in Norwegian) History of Tandbergs Radiofabrikk 1933–78
|This article about a Norwegian engineer, inventor or industrial designer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Norwegian business biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|